|
Tennessee’s redistricting pieces continued to fall last week, culminating with a Friday announcement from U.S. Rep. Steve Cohen. The Memphis Democrat said he would not seek reelection to the Congressional seat he’s held for nearly 20 years, although he left some wiggle room to change his mind if any of the now four court challenges to the new map are successful. The lawsuits are continuing to move forward, although at least two of them got dealt a blow last week when a federal judge sided with the state, denying the plaintiffs’ requests for a temporary injunction. Keep up with the latest redistricting news using the Metro drop-down menu at dailymemphian.com. Since the Tennessee General Assembly gaveled out of its legislative session, all eyes have been on the ensuing special session and the new congressional map born out of it. But still looming is the state takeover of Memphis-Shelby County Schools, which the Republican supermajority passed in April. The Daily Memphian’s Laura Testino took a deeper dive into the effort and especially the Houston model it could resemble. Appointees to the Memphis schools oversight board, who have yet to be officially named, will likely focus on the district’s lowest-performing schools to succeed under the takeover’s metrics. Experts say that could result in tremendous academic growth for poor students — or closures of their schools. In public safety news, a federal agent working under the Memphis Safe Task Force shot and killed a man at a Frayser Burger King, and, separately, a group of Memphians filed a federal lawsuit against the task force claiming harassment and abuse. The final defendant charged in the 2021 death of Memphis rapper Young Dolph has been sentenced, bringing a nearly five-year legal saga to a close. And the Memphis Police Department released some body-worn camera footage from the traffic stop that ended with an MPD officer being shot in February; on the same day of the video’s release, the man accused of shooting the officer appeared in court and pleaded not guilty to his charges. — Metro editor Jane Donahoe
We hope you enjoy reading the latest news stories from our community. If you’re a Daily Memphian subscriber, we appreciate your support. If not, please subscribe for unlimited access to quality, locally produced journalism.
U.S. Rep. Steve Cohen said Friday that he is exiting the August Congressional primaries after the Tennessee General Assembly redrew the state’s district lines, dividing Memphis among three Congressional districts and drawing Cohen out of the 9th District seat he’s held for 20 years.
By Bill Dries
Update
..... |