What to know about National Guard, federal forces in Memphis
When the National Guard troops arrive, they will act as “eyes and ears” for other federal and local law enforcement, Memphis Mayor Paul Young said.
There are 805 article(s) tagged Bill Lee:
When the National Guard troops arrive, they will act as “eyes and ears” for other federal and local law enforcement, Memphis Mayor Paul Young said.
Also, Steve Cohen says next step in federal government funding centers on DHS and ICE; and Bill Lee talks about childhood visits to Memphis, as well as the tragedy that shaped his entry into politics; and a Shelby County mayoral contender opened his campaign headquarters.
U.S. Department of Health and Human Services Secretary Robert F. Kennedy Jr. took the stage with state leaders as part of his “Take Back Your Health Tour.”
A new state budget was just introduced, with funds for Memphis, raises for teachers and a reminder that Tennessee has a funding shortfall for infrastructure needs. Gov. Bill Lee wants $155 million to fund 20,000 new vouchersRelated content:
If Tennessee Gov. Bill Lee achieves his goal, Tennessee would spend more than $303 million in public dollars on vouchers next fiscal year to help send 40,000 students to private schools across the state.
U.S. Rep. Steve Cohen is asking Gov. Bill Lee to amend the Tennessee’s request to FEMA to include the estimate.
Last year, 5,500 Shelby County students got about $45 million in public funding to use at private schools by participating in the state’s two major school voucher initiatives. Even more vouchers could be on the way.
Gov. Bill Lee declines to sign up for federal food assistance program, shifts focus to state-funded solutions.
In the days before a Nashville judge ruled on the legality of Gov. Bill Lee’s deployment of the Tennessee National Guard, hundreds more guardsmen surged into Memphis, according to public records.
A coalition of Tennessee medical professionals is urging Gov. Bill Lee to pause all state executions “to allow the courts to consider active litigation concerning the protocol.”
“The numbers tell the story themselves. They are undeniable,” said U.S. Attorney General Bondi, who traveled to Memphis on Monday, Nov. 24.
The number of National Guard members moved closer to the 1,000-troop limit set by federal leaders as local elected leaders said ICE agents in the city could be their next target in court.
State and local leaders who sued the state over the guard deployment gathered to celebrate what they called a historic victory and discuss next steps.
A Davidson County chancellor blocked the guard’s deployment in a Monday ruling.
Recent legal filings and a statement from the governor’s office shows that the legality of the guard’s Memphis deployment could hinge on whether the Tennessee National Guard is an army or a militia.
The administration is “confident” it will win in court.
Shelby County Mayor Lee Harris and Commissioners Erika Sugarmon and Henri Brooks are among those seeking a preliminary injunction to stop the guard’s deployment.
A map of local recipients of Tennessee’s voucher program expansion shows that most live in Shelby County’s top-earning zip codes.
In detailing specifics of the Memphis Safe Task Force, Gov. Bill Lee didn’t dwell on the city’s crime rate. Instead, flanked by Mayor Paul Young and Police Chief C.J. Davis, he pledged that the crime reduction that could come would be lengthy and sustainable.
Gov. Bill Lee outlined plans for Trump’s Memphis Safe Task Force on Friday, saying that the first personnel could be in the Bluff City on Monday, Sept. 29.
Political Notebook: How Memphis’ representatives in Washington voted on honoring Turning Point founder Charlie Kirk, and a resolution to keep the federal government funded.
Months after Tennessee launched its first statewide voucher program, the Tennessee Department of Education won’t say how many students are using it to attend private school.
Gov. Bill Lee described the Memphis Safe Task Force as a “long-time” mission that could last six months or longer.
Gov. Bill Lee’s call with President Donald Trump followed the president’s Friday morning announcement on Fox News that he would send the guard to Memphis.
“I’ve been in close contact with the Administration throughout the week, and will be speaking with President Trump this afternoon to work out details of the mission,” Gov. Bill Lee said.