Musical Heights

A neighborhood’s forgotten role in the history of one of pop’s most famous studios

By , Special to the Daily Memphian Updated: October 09, 2018 12:15 PM CT | Published: October 08, 2018 1:51 PM CT
<strong>Ardent Recordings opened in 1966 at the intersection of National and Bayliss, catty-corner from the Sweden Kream that still stands today.&nbsp;</strong>(Submitted)

Ardent Recordings opened in 1966 at the intersection of National and Bayliss, catty-corner from the Sweden Kream that still stands today. (Submitted)

The Na-Jack Market at 1457 National St., which takes its name from its location sandwiched between National and Jackson Avenue near where they converge, may look like just another convenience store – a place to grab a drink and a snack, some cigarettes, maybe a lottery ticket – but once, somewhere between where the stacks of unrefrigerated sodas and the storeroom are now, music history was made here. 

Topics

Ardent Studios John Fry

Comment On This Story

Become a subscriber to join the discussion.
Email Editions

Sign up for our morning and evening editions, plus breaking news.

Manage Your Email Subscriptions